Frequently Asked Questions about Our Parties
Are you looking for a fun, different and yes – affordable! – hands-on birthday party for up to 12 kids? Try ours! (Or bring us to your Scouts troop or your school or camp!!)
Book Now: Our price? Our 70-minute parties start at $150 for up to 12 guests. Read on for information about discounts.
Distance charges apply if you are more than 20 minutes beyond Bellaire, TX. We reserve the right to reject any venue where we feel safety and security cannot be maintained. Details below.
Basic Robotics Party: What do I get?
Where will the party take place?
Are there places you won’t do a party?
Are there days or times you won’t do a party?
How long is the party?
What do you provide?
What am I expected to provide?
What’s not included?
What’s your service area?
Who has to pay a distance charge?
Should I tip?
Do you offer discounts?
Our party leader – we provide one leader for up to 12 kids – will teach your party-goers to build and program a robot, using LEGO® Education’s award-winning WeDo software, which is designed for 7- to 11-year-olds. In one of our most popular activities, half the kids use our LEGO® robotics kits to build and program “kickers” while the other half build and program goal-keepers. We can even program the goals to keep score! Then we break out the crumpled paper balls and see how they score against each other! This activity is best suited for students in 2-5th grade.
In your home or at a public venue you rent, as long as your home or venue are within a one-hour drive of Bellaire,TX. Distance charges apply for venues that are more than a 30-minute drive from Bellaire,TX.
The safety of our workers, clients and guests are of the utmost importance. We reserve the right to reject any venue where we feel that safety and security can’t be maintained. However, we can suggest alternate venues if this is a problem.
Note: we cannot do any of our LEGO® robotics parties at swimming pools or other venues that are not suitable for electronics.
We are not accepting party reservations for the following dates: Dec. 23-1, January 6-7. Most of our parties start between 9am and 7pm. Almost all of our parties are on weekends. In general, unless our schools are having school holidays, we can’t host parties on weekday afternoons because we are using our equipment to lead after-school LEGO® robotics clubs.
Our part of your Basic Robotics party runs 70 minutes including 5 minutes for clean-up, which involves properly shutting down netbooks and stowing all our LEGO® pieces.
Setup is simple: Before a Basic Robotics or Robo Challenge party starts, we will need about 5 minutes to unpack our netbooks and LEGO® robotics kits, ideally while you are entertaining your guests in another room.
For Basic Robotics parties: We provide one instructor, six netbooks and six LEGO® robotics kits for use during the party. For Robo Challenge parties, we also supply Nano Hexbugs for use during the party only.
- Adequate table (or floor) space. You should be able to put one seat around a table for each participating child. So for 12 children, you should be able to fit 12 adult seats comfortably around the table/s you plan to use. This ensures that each pair of children has enough room to work comfortably with our netbooks and LEGO® robotics kits. If you’re short of table space, a coffee table will usually accommodate two children.
- Access to an outlet – for those rare times when our netbooks run out of battery power. We provide our own power strips.
- Tip: please keep your own LEGO® pieces away from the area where we’ll be working, so we don’t take any of your pieces home!
Our party fees do not include distance charges (if applicable), party venue, invitations, decorations, cake, or goody bags, etc. – but you’d probably rather do those anyway!
Repeat: we do not provide any take-homes. We have to take all of our LEGO®s with us so kids in other parties and classes will have the pieces they need to build their robots.
There is no distance charge if your party venue must be located within a 20-minute drive of Bellaire, TX, as calculated by Google Maps. Parties at venues outside that radius are subject to a distance charge per instructor.
**For the safety of our instructors and party guests, we reserve the right to decline invitations to lead parties at venues where security cannot be guaranteed. However, we will happily work with you to identify alternative venues that you can rent for our parties.
For parties more than 20 minutes’ drive from Bellaire TX (as calculated by Google Maps), we add a distance charge based on round-trip driving time.
For examples of distance charges, click here **Actual charges will vary depending on your address. In rare cases, when the fastest route requires tolls, we add the cost of the tolls to the distance charge. We won’t take a route that requires tolls without your approval.
If you feel your instructor did an excellent job, gave you a little extra time or went out of his or her way to accommodate your particular needs, a tip is a great way to show your appreciation. Obviously, our instructors will never ask or hint for a tip.
Please keep in mind that distance charges, when applicable, are not tips; they reimburse the instructor for driving time in excess of 40 minutes round-trip, and corresponding gas and vehicle expenses.
- 15% off Learning Gears parties for current or recent students of our after-school, evening or summer programs (or siblings of those students). This discount can’t be used with other promotions.
- OR, if you have hosted one of our parties, you and your guest are each entitled to $10 off your next party (or class) when your guest purchases one of our parties. Hosts may “stack” up to three referral discounts for a total of up to $30 off the host’s next party or class. We hand out these discount cards at parties; we also email them to the host immediately after the host’s party. If you hosted a party and didn’t receive any, please contact us